Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hello, London! (the one that would have been saturday)

If it was anything that woke me up to the fact that I'm in England, it would be the day-trip to London. We spent 14 hours walking around the city, soaking all of it in, and I feel like there's still so much more to cover. I ventured into Westminster Abbey with our group as a 17 year old so that I could get a discounted price :] 6 pounds, people... history ain't cheap. But after all of that, I honestly would have paid full price because of how amazing it is. I've never been surrounded by so much historical and architectural richness. I got lost in there with the audio as my guide, and sat there in awe for a moment as I passed all the great (and not so great) monarchs of England. The writers, the poets, the musicians, kings and queens... it was real, guys. Sir Isaac Newton and Sir Charles Darwin... it was in your face history, and I loved it. It was time to go, and I sadly left the Abbey onto Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. After admiring the grandeur of the sights, we all decided to go on the Eye, where I decided that I was 15 for the day. 8.50 pounds instead of 20 pounds or something like that... hell yeah, I was going to try to be 15! I walked up to the kiosk, and calmly asked for one child admission and the lady goes, "Do you have I.D.?"... what kind of a 15 year old has I.D.? the rest of the dialogue went something like this:

"No, I don't have any I.D."
"Well then, I'm afraid I can't sell you a ticket..."
"Then could I just pay for regular admission?"
"I'm afraid I can't do that."
"WHY NOT?!"
"...Well first of all, you don't look fifteen, and secondly, I can't let you on without a guardian..."
(apparently ferris wheels in England are equivalent to rated R movies in America)

haha, I never thought I would have to try so hard to convince someone that I was younger than I actually am. But I got a child admission, and the view from the eye was pretty fantastic. The rest of the day consisted of trying to get through the last two things for the day: Platform 9 and 3/4 and Abbey Road. We got lost and ended up paying about 3 pounds to get to it when it was free. I ran around asking policemen if they happened to know where platorm 9 and 3/4 was.. heh. Abbey Road is coming up next, friends.

Headed back to school on the train, and witnessed two drunk Brits arguing about a cockblock incident over a Spanish girl...

i'm definitely not in california anymore,
captain

2 comments:

  1. I have been having such bizarre cravings for history lessons lately... like, looking into museums and learning about dead people kinda thing. Awkward? Eh, nah. You got to witness their headstones!!!

    I cannot WAIT for Abbey Road love <3 (Personally, I'm praying that it's better than Platform 9 3/4!)

    LOOOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol you should have worn some black keds and a striped little boy shirt.
    i know someone who really has this look down, i'm sure you could ask them for tips.

    ReplyDelete