Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Great Britain Pound Kills

So these past few days have been alcohol-filled and interesting. I've managed to meet some nice people, and it's starting to feel a little like the days are going by a little faster. I went into Brighton today and Kevin and I found the 99 pence store!!! I also discovered a milkshake place that has over 150 flavors... yeah, that's right. A MILKSHAKE PLACE. I'm definitely coming back there. It was karaoke night tonight, but a group of us ended up going to eat fish and chips instead. The portion as bloody huge. I've taken more public transportation within the last two days than I've ever taken in my entire life, and I think I might almost be getting used to it. The people on the bus kind of smell funny though, but the best part is getting on and off the bus and hearing the bus driver say, "Cheers!". I'm think about getting on and off buses for fun just so I can hear it over and over again. On the ride back, I tried to say it to one of them as I was getting off, and it just sounds retarded in my American accent: So I faked a British one. I was like "CHEERS TO YOU!!" and just jumped off the bus. Weekdays are kind of a drag though because there really isn't much to do on campus. All of the places to eat close at 5, and everyone seems to be consumed by the physics program. I thinking about buying a bus pass, and taking the bus into town by myself when I get bored. I sure wish everyone were here with me, so that we can all lounge around together and head to the pebbly beaches. But the pound makes me depressed... tickets to Spain cost about 80 pounds... that's almost 160 dollars. But I guess it's like traveling in the states. The girl next door to me came with her friends, and as I am typing, they're over there laughing and having a ball. I miss you guys like no other.... Never thought I would have such major withdrawals. Even lounging around with other people doesn't feel the same as whitening my teeth, dying my hair, playing spades, eating til I want to puke and napping with you guys. In addition to that, food here just isn't the same. I hope you guys will be up for an American food binge when I get back... because man do I miss it all. No wonder the people here are so skinny. Oi. BUT I did have a decent meal, and it was at the Queen's Head! I had a traditional English breakfast for 6 pounds... and it was SCRUMPCIOUS. Eggs that were poached/sunny side up, English sausage, ham and baked beans with this fried tomato thing.. and toast too! That was the first meal that filled my up since I've been here.

Might I add that the toilets are hard to flush...

Despite lack of good food, yet still gaining weight from random alcoholic binges,
captain

2 comments:

  1. Yes. I'm catching up and commenting on all your posts.

    This one makes me sad and makes me miss you even more :( I think it's because of the lack of food you're eating, and the skinny people, and the part where that girl was laughing with her friends :(. I hate besties withdrawal. It makes me cry!

    AND YES! I'm all for the AMERICAN FOOD BINGE when you come home! Seeing as you're JUST down Magnolia...I'M DOWN TO EAT AT ANY TIME :) ESPECIALLY WITH THE BESTIES. As for your English breakfast, I'm glad you had a filling meal! It sounded so delicious! And I'm glad that you're getting use to public transportation-- you're so strong! :) Andddd, that you get to drink legally! Oh! And 150 flavors for milkshakes?! I didn't think that existed...then again, Harry Potter is British and they had those disgusting tasting jelly beans...but I digress. Because it's 5 in the morning and I tend to rant at this hour.

    Stay strong with the toilets! Hold your nose when next to stinky people on the bus! Keep on with the accented "Cheers to you!" And...HAVE FUN IN WHATEVER COUNTRY WHEN YOU GO! I'm super excited for you <3

    missyouloveyoucomehomesafe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 the CHEERS TO YOU.
    and the 150 milkshakes. i've always wanted a rose milkshake.

    ReplyDelete