Thursday, August 20, 2009

So What If I'm a Robert Langdon Wannabe?

A 9 hour long bus ride from London to Paris is not the ideal way to travel. Trust me. But if you're going to travel by coach anywhere and make it worth it: Paris is the way to go. I woke up to the view above at 5:30 a.m. and a butt ache like I've never experienced before, but it was instantaneously numbed by the magnificence of the city. They dropped us off and let us go at it. Here is what my day was like.

Eiffel Tower: Being the financially conscious and healthy young adults that we all are, we decided to walk up the Eiffel Tower instead of taking the lift up (3 euros versus 17... um, yeah). Now let me tell you something, it's big. Not "big" like Big Ben--this thing is a beast. We trekked up 700 steps and had only gone a tad more than halfway, but my god was it worth it. The view of the Seine River flowing throughout the city, the buildings, the ornate pillars on the Alexander Bridge... everything was breathtaking. Post Eiffel Tower hike, we decided to go on a hunt for crepes, and French whatnots around the city. The people were, not particularly nice... especially if you don't speak French. Thankfully, whatever nonsensical French I picked up over years of listening to cousins and aunts got me through the day with nothing but smiles and help. I even managed to inquire the whereabouts of Beauxbatons and if anyone had seen my sister Fleur... apparently we had been parted at the train station, and since I am an incoming student, I do not know how to get there on my own...

Let's just say, I felt bad for the people actually believed me, and had a good laugh out of the ones that thought I was mentally unstable. Thanks, Dgao. You're really looking out for me.

In addition to the fun task of the country, we wandered over to the Louvre in attempts to discover some age old secret cult. The amount of artwork and history that is in there is unbelievable; I felt like I was Nicholas Cage in National Treasure when he sets his eyes on the hidden treasure. Everything was fascinating, everything was important and grand, but nothing beat the Louvre's shining star: the Mona Lisa. I journeyed over there, half expecting it to be located in a dark and ominous hallway... oh how quickly I was proven wrong. There was a MOB of people around the 16" x 20". I stealthily tried to sneak through the crevices between people and successfully captured a picture of it. Phew. Now that I got that done, there really wasn't anything left to do but nap. So we napped. Right in the middle of the Louvre. The best 10 minutes of sleep all weekend.

1 comment: